Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Canning Beef at Mom and Dad's - 3/2/2013

I have been enjoying Mom's canned beef for as long as I remember and thought it was about time that I learn. Saturday I went to their place to learn and participate in the process.
We started by washing and sanitizing some pint jars. (Mom and Dad had done that before i got there.). Then we took the beef rump roast and trimmed the excess fat. Than we layered the beef and salt and pepper in the jars, about a pound of beef in each jar. We topped the beef with a piece of fat to keep it moist and put on the lids and rings. Then it's off the the pressure cooker. Once out if the pressure cooker, we wait for the much anticipated "pop" of a sealed jar.
And as an added bonus, I got to see a bald eagle that was sitting in a tree in Mom and Dad's yard.

Wonderful canned beef


Stuffing the beef in the jars


There's a bald eagle up in the tree

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.... I think I remember canning meat with you at your parents way back when. Maybe my memory is getting fuzzy in old age :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! You did come to can beef at my mom and dad's once. I mentioned that to Mom while we were working.

      Delete